Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Monday, February 8, 2010

See, there's one problem: You can't staple Christmas lights into a solar panel.

In response to one of the comments I received, I wanted to write a brief tidbit about "green" homes.



    This is a home that's green..                         

                        ..and this is a home that's "green."               

So which one would you want to live in?
(It's okay to say neither.)


"Green" homes are increasing in popularity because of the cost savings they offer a homeowner. I highly support a money-saving "green" home..  But only if it's aesthetically pleasing and feels like home. Option number 2 of these homes looks like the drunken result of a contemporary-style architect who suddenly decided that he was going to play with a welding torch and then paint everything the same color as his new favoritest dinner, salmon.

In other words, it's ugly.

On a similar note, Brad Pitt is hot. How do these relate? This is one of Pitt's "green" homes for the rebuilding project in New Orleans. Strangely, these homes are not nearly as popular as many people thought they would be. Why wouldn't someone want to live in a cost-efficient, energy-efficient, and practically self-sufficient home like this:




Uhh... BECAUSE IT'S UGLY.

And this is the downfall of some types of "green" homes. The concept of green cannot override the concept of home. They have to mutually co-exist. Otherwise, you're just a hot millionaire with 1 compassionate heart, 25 different kids, and about 70 ugly homes. What a rough life...


Now, on the bright side of building "green," many things that would normally go to waste can be reused to build something. The best example, by far, that I have found in support of reusing items for building materials is in this Buddhist Temple.



What's so special about the reused materials of this temple? Let's just say that the song "99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall" gains a whole lot more meaning with this place. I encourage you to read more about the Temple of beer, as proof that recycling is a worthy act: Buddhist Temple of Beer Bottles. But please, Drink Excessively. Oops, I mean, Responsibly.

(Be sure to check out the link about the source of strength for the Buddhist Temple - Heineken beer bricks: A Better Beer Bottle.)


Related Links:

For more information on why Brad Pitt's "green" homes make him a bad realtor, check out this story:

For more information about how "green" homes do more than save a homeowner money, they inspire economic recovery, click here: Money Facts About Building Green 

2 comments:

  1. Good point about Brad Pitt's house. It's one thing to build a house that is functional and "green", but it's another thing to build something that just looks horrible. It doesn't look or feel like a home to me. That house that he built looks worse than the house he used in Fight Club.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read your comment on the blog Global Warming Hysteria in the article "Climate Alarmism: And the Walls Come Tumbling Down"

    "Global Warming is one of those topics, like abortion or the death sentence, that only has a right or wrong answer when it comes to what one believes. Currently, there is not enough evidence to support either position as *the* truth. I understand why people care whether or not global warming could be a reality, but what I don't understand is why some people have become close-minded because of it. This is an opinion that I am currently exploring through my own blog, http://moneygreengood.blogspot.com/.

    It seems like many people automatically dismiss a product or position because it's "green." Green is associated with global warming advocates and therefore green items are of no use to those who do not believe in global warming. I think that's just ridiculous. I don't believe in global warming, but I'm not going to dismiss a product that could save me money just because it's marketed as being "green" and good for the environment. What does the environment have to do with me saving money? Nothing. Exactly. Therefore, if a low-flow showerhead will save me $5 a month on my water bill and $10 a month on my electric, why the heck wouldn't I buy it? Because it makes me a global warming supporter? No, buying it shows that I am a smart consumer who knows how to stick it to those companies that bank on the money I waste through the unnecessary energy I use. I save water, I save energy, and I save money. It has nothing to do with global warming in my mind. But so many people make a big deal about *not* going green because they don't believe in that global warming crap that they miss out on the idea that green items can save them money. And the last time I checked, people like saving money. I know I do."

    I responded:

    "

    It doesn't matter to me if global warming turns out to be a hoax or not because I will still encourage and be eco-friendly (or "green"). Even if global warming doesn't exist, and I have seen convincing evidence from both sides so it is hard for me to come to conclusion at the moment, we should still be eco-friendly and do what is good for the environment, for society and for the planet at large.

    Like the above commenter I also find it frustrating that people won't "go green" because they think it is a global warming or "liberal" scam. My father is one of these people: he refuses to do anything "green" because he thinks it is a scam. It doesn't matter how much I explain to him that it will save him money (and I leave the environmental aspects out of it since anything having to do with being environmentally friendly is a "liberal" scam): he refuses to do it.

    Maybe we should start separating "green" from global warming and more people will start to see it isn't anything "radical." I don't know if the green movement started with global warming (probably not) but I know that it is most associated with it which is why so many refuse to embrace it, which is a terrible shame.

    Some people just completely miss the forest for the trees..."

    I'm glad to find someone who understands that being "green" and "global warming" aren't connected. I wish more people could see this.

    I hope you blog more about this message so that more people will understand and then maybe more people will blog about the real message, more people will go "green" and get past the silliness of simply not going "green" because it is connected to global warming.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete